Anyway, my blossay this week is about rainbows! Or, as my science teacher prefers to call them, spectrums. I will first give a few opinions, then try to remember the last rainbow I saw. (Oh yes! I will also slip in two Irish/Scottish phrases and expressions and one Gaelic greeting... in keeping with the whole pot o' gold under the rainbow thing...if you find all three, leave a comment listing them. Thanks!). Finally I will put in a story about one of these things:
1. Being a rainbow.
2. Actually finding the gold at the end of the rainbow.
3. The tribes of the land of Ciltspasaule, mentioning the rainbow tribe (called the Durani)
(Yes, I know which one I'm going to pick.)
Okay, let's get started.
I personally think rainbows are breathtaking and mysterious, and phooey on all those boring old scientists who unromantically drone on and on about water droplets and sunlight and angles and all that blarney. Phooey, I say! Phooey! PHOOEY! AAAAAAARGGGH!
Sorry, but when I say opinions, I really mean opinions.
Anyway, I think rainbows are very interesting, and much as I would like to actually find a pot of gold, just to have finally achieved a myth, but I'm pretty sure you couldn't go into a grocery store and try to buy a box of Cheerios, a box of four-cup coffee filters, and a package of Pokemon cards with a couple of gold coins. Nope, I wouldn't try that if I had a lorry full of mickeys. And unless you have a bank account at the nearest bank, which I do not, I'm pretty sure you couldn't just trade it in for money. (I would say I'd like you to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't say that. I hate criticism.)
That's the end of the opinions. On to the last-time-I-saw-a-rainbow part of the blossay!
The last time I remember seeing a natural rainbow was when I was about seven or eight years old, driving in the car with my mom and brother. It was just a half-arc (which, incidentally, is all you'll ever see of a rainbow - it is virtually impossible to see all of a rainbow) and it was far away, arching across the street, from a used car dealership to a tree.
Now the story.
(Just to tell you, there is no such thing as the Chetaquyyen people. I made them up. And also, Ciltspasaule is pronounced "Siltz-PAZ-a-lay." All the rest of the names can be pronounced any way you want.)
The Land of Ciltspasaule
The rainbow tribe, or the Durani, in ancient Chetaquyyen legend, were one of the happiest of the tribes in the Land of Ciltspasaule. The only ones happier than them were the Platiio, the water tribe, but only because they had to be happy all day long in order to make the brooks, rivers, and ocean waves of the Land of Ciltspasaule sound cheerful and carefree.
The tribes of the Land of Ciltspasaule were as follows: The earth or land tribe, or the Bankite, were strong, courageous and hardworking, with both feet planted firmly on the ground. The tree tribe, or the Fiafiae, were dreamy and contemplative, yet very protective and parental of their young ones. The sky or air tribe, the Suskir, were daredevils, mischievous and always playing tricks. The water tribe, which I have already mentioned and which I will name again - the Platiio - were a festive lot, carefree and bubbling through life like the splashing, chattering substance they worked so hard to protect. The fire tribe, the Kreklon, were fierce and competitive, and often had short tempers. But there was no other tribe in that Land of Ciltspasaule whose people would be as loyal and supportive of a friend as the Kreklon. The fire people were especially friendly toward the Durani, who they helped make rainbows by concentrating the light of the sun through the moisture of the Platiio.
But the rainbow tribe, the Durani, were artists. They were always having bright ideas on how to solve problems. They were more than a little open-minded as to their goals in life, unlike the other tribes, who felt that they must fulfill the motif of their tribe and nothing but. These differentiated opinions sometimes brought the Durani into conflict with the other tribes, especially the Kreklon, who were great and fierce warriors in inter-tribal wars. However, the Durani were steadfast in their opinion that anyone could do anything, and a few left rainbow-making and painted sweeping landscapes and ruminative portraits instead of the beautiful multicolored wonders of the sky after a rain when there is sun.
However, most Durani stayed with rainbow-creation, and that is why we have so many beautiful rainbows today.
I hoped you like the story, goodbye, the end, and remember, Is fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san dull! Tune in next week (or so - I might have trouble with the topic again) for another "lethargic" topic!
I found "blarney" and "mickeys" - is "fhearr fheuchainn na bhith san dull" the Gaelic greeting ? Slàn leat! xo Unc
ReplyDeletei want to be a Kreklon!
ReplyDelete(Are you going to post the game you made up as well?)
xo, Mom
I love it, the rainbow tribe having bright ideas. Only one thing you can say about that. Brilliant.. 8-)
ReplyDeleteAnd why say phooey to the poor scientists. Have you ever thought that even thought they might have an explanation for the rainbows that it only makes them even more magical and interesting? ;-)
I love it, the rainbow tribe having bright ideas. Only one thing you can say about that! Brilliant!! 8-)
ReplyDeleteAnd why say phoey to the poor scientists? Have you ever thought that even thought they might have a completely logical explanation for them, that it makes then none the less breathtaking and mysterious? ;-)
hey freya this is me Olivia. WHY WHY WHY? Why do you think that when you see a rainbow it means good luck? AND I have a suggestion. You should make a Dear Ms. Freya column and have everyone write you a question and you should answer them by ur user name.
ReplyDelete