Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Ray Bradbury response thingy

Hey readers!
In language arts class (we don't have english, we have 'language arts') we read a story called "All Summer in a Day" by Ray Bradbury. I don't know if any of you have read it. I'm not really a Bradbury fan myself - all his weirdness just kinda, well, weirds me out - but I did like this story. However, I digress.

Basically the story is about life on a rainy Venus when the sun can only be seen once every seven years. A class of children is supposed to be let outside to play for two hours while the sun shines, but one of the kids - a certain William - locks a girl in a closet, so she misses the precious time. The girl is frail little Margot (Bradbury actually doesn't mention a surname, I just added it cause I felt like it), who hasn't lived on Venus her whole life, as the other kids have, but remembers what life on earth is like.

My class (which is not on Venus, thank you very much) was supposed to answer questions about the story and do a vocabulary assignment, but after reading my last assignment (the photo essay I posted the other day), my teacher was duly impressed with my writing talent and allowed me to instead write this.

The 'this' in question is a letter from one of the other children in Margot's class to a friend (or relative, I don't know which; whoever they are, their name is Sam) back on earth. Now, the letter-writer is fictional. I just invented her to show an outside perspective on the conflict in the story.


Dear Sam,
Yesterday should have been wonderful, because we got to see the sun. And it was wonderful, at first. But as soon as the beautiful sun was gone and it began to rain again, we all felt absolutely terrible. I still feel absolutely terrible, because what William did - and what the rest of us helped him to do - has most likely ruined Margot Kandien's childhood.
Here is what happened. As you, Sam, probably know, yesterday was the day when the sun was to be visible from Venus, the planet where I live. Our schoolteacher was to let us outside during those magical two hours, but she had to deliver a note to another teacher first. She was gone for about twenty minutes, and during those twenty minutes William locked Margot in the closet.
Why didn't I help her? Why did I just stand there, laughing like an imbecile? Poor little Margot, the only one of us who really remembered the sun.
It was the only time there will be sun here for seven years, and we deprived
Margot of it, the one who needed it more than any of us. It should have been me. William should have locked me in the closet, and Margot should have been the one to see the sun!
Now nobody knows what to do with William. True, he didn't really mean to keep Margot from seeing the sun; he just meant to keep her locked up until the teacher got back to let us outside. But in our excitement we all forgot, just forgot about her - pale little Margot Kandien with her washed-out eyes. She is the only one who knew, who really remembered what the sun was like. She tried to tell us about it once. She called it a penny, a fire in the stove, but we told her she was lying and ran off laughing. Why did we call her a liar? Poor wispy Margot, who cried in the shower room and wouldn't let the water touch her head. Was it too much like the constant rain, rain that slowly drilled into her, washed all the color from her until she became so thin and soft to near transparency, so that it seems like a single gust of wind would waft her away?
Margot wasn't lying, not at all. The sun is like a penny, and a fire, and so many other things too, and she knew them all and would have told us of them if only we hadn't been so resentful of her knowledge. She knows so much more than we do, about Earth and the sun and what life is like down there on your planet, the place we Venus children can only dream about.
And now she'll never be the same. I haven't seen her since yesterday, but I can tell, from the way she looked when she came out of that closet, that she'll be different. She'll be worse. I know, and she knows, that her parents can't afford to send her back to Earth. She'll have to wait, Margot will, until she's sixteen and can glimpse the sun at last. And if William tries to lock her up again or in any way prevent her from seeing it, that marvelous, beautiful sun that was everything we could have imagined and more, I will do all in my power to stop him, even if it means letting him and the others lock me up in her place.
Because Margot's got to see the sun again. She's got to.
Yours Truly,
Hannah Vaine


OKAY, so maybe a child of the age mentioned in the story (which is nine, by the way) wouldn't have written this. But I think it's good anyway, don't you?

7 comments:

  1. What wait, hold on just one second! F451 by Mr. Ray B. just happens to be one of the best books you can read! Some of the best people in the world are weirdos. Sorry...that hit a nerve..
    -Travis S.
    ps, nice stars

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't consider myself a Bradbury fan either, but I remember reading "The Veldt" by Ray Bradbury in school and being horrified by the concept of parents being replaced by technology. Honestly, it haunts me to this day!

    I am going to re-read "All Summer in a Day" and think about Margot and all the complexities you've so gracefully created for her in Hannah's letter to Sam. I will also appreciate the sun shine a little more than usual today, I think. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! Makes me want to go dig up that Bradbury story now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "But in our excitement we all forgot, just forgot about her - pale little Margot Kandien with her washed-out eyes. She is the only one who knew, who really remembered what the sun was like. She tried to tell us about it once. She called it a penny, a fire in the stove, but we told her she was lying and ran off laughing. Why did we call her a liar? Poor wispy Margot, who cried in the shower room and wouldn't let the water touch her head. Was it too much like the constant rain, rain that slowly drilled into her, washed all the color from her until she became so thin and soft to near transparency, so that it seems like a single gust of wind would waft her away?"

    I think that's my favorite part. I love how you integrated all the little details that most people might overlook. Keep it up, Freya. :)

    --Ms. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheesh, and I thought that I was a good writer...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff, Freya! This is one of my favorite Ray Bradbury stories, and your extension of it is a nice emotional angle on it.

    You should give Ray another try though. I blame myself. I gave you Fahrehnheit 451 when you were like 8 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. You are quite a writer.

    I haven't read Bradbury in decades, but I devoured his stories when I was about your age. I also loved those Alfred Hitchcock digests, Edgar Allen Poe, oh - Isaac Asimov's Nightfall and other stories - you will love that one if you liked this. (OK, why do I never read short stories any more?)

    I like what you did with this, on a personal level, because I remember how haunting and disturbing some of Bradbury's stories were. I like the way you've taken possession of the idea and added this viewpoint. Bradbury tends to write like a very old guy (IIRC). Part of what makes his stories so disturbing is that he's disturbed by the idea of unfamiliarity and change, and the dehumanizing effect of technology. But kids live in the world of unfamiliarity and change, in a way, don't you? It's a whole different perspective.

    (I had nightmares about the Illustrated Man himself, Mel - maybe this explains why I have no tattoos!)

    -Jen Purrenhage

    ReplyDelete