This week's topic is: Rain. (I warned you.) Here we go. (I'm a little nervous. Oh, for heaven's sake, Freya, jump in!)
When you hear the word rain, what do you picture? A light spring drizzle, pattering quietly on the roof of your car? A vicious downpour, the kind with driving drops and biting wind? Or Rob McKenna from So Long and Thanks For All The Fish by Douglas Adams, driving along a highway in his truck, charting all the different kinds of rain that fall from the cloud above him that only want "...to cherish Him and water Him" because he is their Rain God?
I know. You're probably thinking, "What is so important about rain that someone, however young, has chosen to write an essay about it?" And I reply, straight to your mind because I posses amazing powers of ESP, "Important? You ask what is important about rain? Well, lowly person, I shall bestow upon you the knowledge of why it is important!"
And as you scratch your head and wonder who said that, I explain. I, for one, like rain. Any kind. Yes, any kind. Sometimes I wish that I could go out when it's really pouring and just stand there and be. Rain is very inspiring to me, and sometimes after a really big deluge I will sit and fill my mind with tons of raindrops on a sheet of paper, spiraling and tumbling and whooshing erratically down toward some distant land below.
For a moment, I would like you to imagine that you are a raindrop, sent from the clouds to topple at great speed toward the ground below, where you will hit and smash into a thousand shards and be... what? Dead? Or simply spread out, still one being but just bigger and covering more space? Will you splash into a puddle and join brethren, or be doomed to fall alone onto a square of concrete, being baked and boiled and sizzled by the relentless sun - more quickly than your friends who have been so lucky as to fall into puddles - simply because you are alone?
I believe there is a valuable life lesson to be learned here.
Do you see it?
No?
Must I do everything?
The lesson is that, if possible, stay close with friends and family, because you'll only fail faster when you're alone.
Anyway, back to rain.
Umm.
[Insert sound of brain being empty.]
Oh! Yes.
Rain is also good for agriculture. For instance, I'm pretty sure those beautiful daffodils (which, by the way, just beg for their heads to be picked off and held up to the mouth like miniature trumpets) that we have in the back yard would never have been able to grow without those rainy days we have had this winter and the few we have had since it got warmer and made up its mind to be spring.
Yes. Rain is a wonderful thing, and without it I think the little chunk of planetary matter we call Earth would probably be as barren as the little hunk of planetary matter we call Mars without it.
Thank you for listening, and be sure to tune in next week for another "containing" topic!
PS. At the end of every post I will include, in the conclusion, a hint to next week's topic. It will always be in quotation marks. Watch for it.
Welcome to the Blogosphere, my dear. Nice post, I especially liked being a raindrop, although I don't really see raindrops shattering into a thousand shards most of the time. I consider it a success as your father that you quote from Douglas Adams.
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to your next post ...
Nice blog, Freya! Keep writing so I can read more! Let me guess, is the next post going to be about container gardening? Or handbags?
ReplyDeleteHeather
I'm trying to think of a comment, Freya, while you're standing right next to me yelling "NANA BOSHO!!!" in my ear.
ReplyDeleteSuch distractions do not lead to good comments.
Awesome! This is going on my gmail reader feed! xo unc
ReplyDelete