Wednesday, September 29, 2010

More of "Someone Else"

Okay, so a few of you have asked me to write more of the story-told-through-conversations-and-other-methods-of-communication that I started a while ago called "Someone Else".
(takes breath)
If you haven't read the first part, look through my older posts until you find it and read that first (here's the link), because otherwise this section will make no sense whatsoever, and then I'll have a bunch of befuddled readers on my hands and we can't have THAT, now can we?
(takes breath)
So here goes.

[The following conversation took place beneath a large oak tree in a certain Bosley Park on August 7th. This is a written transcription of a tape, taken from a small personal recorder hidden in a pen. Kirby Mason will be known throughout as K, and Ian Greene as I.]

K- Hi.

I. Hello, Kirby.

[pause]

K- Well? [pause] What did you want to talk to me about?

I- Didn't I tell you?

K- Um, no, I don't think so. Look, Ian, can you please just get to the point?

I- I did tell you. I want to talk about - [pause] - what happened.

K- Okay. [pause] So talk!

I - I know who did it.

K - You know who - wait, what?

I- I know who killed Molly.

K- What? But nobody killed her! It was an accident. She was hit by a car, Ian! There were witnesses! Marilee told me yesterday - about... what she saw.

I- It wasn't an accident. What did she say?

K- Does it really matter? And what do you mean, it wasn't an accident?

I- Never mind. What did Marilee say she saw?

[pause]

K- She said she was sitting outside the cafe right near the crosswalk, and saw Molly crossing the street. She - she called out to her and waved, and Molly turned around and waved back, without looking where she was going, and then... and then...

I- It was a blue Dodge Caliber, right?

K- What?

I- That hit Molly. A blue Dodge. [pause] Caliber.

K- Yeah, that's what Marilee said - but wait, how do you know? You haven't talked to Marilee, have you?

I- No. But let's just say Marilee ought to be a little more careful what she writes in letters and who she sends them to. Calder just can't keep a secret.

K-Huh? What does that - oh. I get it.

I- Uh huh.

K- So Marilee wrote to Calder, and then he told- [pause]

I- What? Why are you looking at me like that?

K- Ian, why are you holding that pen? It is a pen, right? Is that a tape recorder?

I- No! C'mon, Kirby. It's just a pen -

K- It is! Ian! Give me that -

[At this point the recording ends. K is still in possession of the recording device, yet fortunately I was able to grab the tiny tape as it fell out of its compartment.]




Hope everyone likes it! Comment if you'd like to hear more, and tell me from who. (From whom? No wait, who. Hold on. Argh, I never have got the hang of this one rule of grammar.) Anyway, bye.





2 comments:

  1. Just a Mom comment, but perhaps you should provide a link to Part 1 of the story at the beginning of the post.

    ReplyDelete