Monday, September 13, 2010

What to Bring

Recently, I was reading a book about writing techniques, and I got an idea from one of the prompts. (Now, most writing books are sorta lame. Write a description of your bedroom. Write a poem that includes the words 'balloon', 'snow', and twilight'. I mean, really? How cheesy can you get?) but this book was actually really good. It's called "Juicy Writing," and it's written by Australian author Brigid Lowry. (I'm pretty sure she has no relation to Lois.)
But anyway. One of the prompts (which were, I'm happy to say, mostly cheese-free,) suggested writing a list of things to bring. To a funeral, a friend's house, a picnic... so I wrote my own. However, I didn't specify where to bring these, or what for. It's just a miscellaneous list of items to bring. I leave the location up to you.

WHAT TO BRING
Bring a bottle of olive oil and a pencil.
Bring along the smallest notebook you can find.
Bring a hairband. A photo of your kitchen.
Bring a shouted compliment, sprinkled generously with interjections.
Bring a handwriting sample.
A day at summer camp.
A pen that scratches without leaving a mark.
Bring an eggplant. A piano piece. A star.
Bring along mozzarella cheese.
An empty school bus.
Bring me.

2 comments:

  1. I am thinking you could have a lovely little lunch with that mozzarella, eggplant, and olive oil. Add a loaf of crusty bread and some salt and pepper to that list and I'll come along!

    ReplyDelete