2. I have nothing against music in general, but if you listen to a single kind of it for more than an hour, your ears will bleeeeeed. Especially if it's Miley Cyrus-esque bubblegum pop. (No offense to her fans; I find they are usually nice people, for their musical tastes.)
3. If you are reading a book and find yourself thinking, "Good grief, I hate this book. Why am I reading this? I should be burning it," and yet you keep on reading, my advice to you is PUT THE DANGED THING DOWN AND FIND SOMETHING YOU ACTUALLY WILL ENJOY! READING IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN! Come on, people. It's not that hard to figure out!
4. Before you run the dishwasher, make absolutely sure there's nothing meltable in it, say, oh, your baby cousin's pacifier, for instance. (It happened, and it was a freaking DISASTER.)
5. Never, ever, under any circumstances, eat the last Reese's cup out of your little brother's Halloween candy. He will take revenge and I am warning you, it will not be pretty.
6. Dye a lock of your hair an unusual color at least once in your life. And if you do it with Kool-aid, like I did once? Even better.
7. If you want to experience true, abject, unadulterated hilarity, watch the BBC television show Fawlty Towers. It's completely impossible to go wrong if you get John Cleese, Connie Booth, Prunella Scales and Andrew Sachs and put them together in a rather seedy coastal hotel with about twenty rooms and an increasingly decrepit sign out in front. (The British show Mr. Bean is amazing as well, as is Red Dwarf. I nod to Doc.)
8. Make sure to say something nonsensical, if even to yourself when nobody can hear you, at least twice a week. If you want to be a creative, imaginative person who is at all worth knowing, you will take this to heart.
9. Make yourself a list of all your favorite books and movies and hang it in your room. Wait a few years. Then, without looking at the first list, write out all your least favorite books. Compare list one with list two. You'll be surprised at how many titles on the former appear on the latter.
10. Read extensively. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL OF THESE.
Now, my children, go forth with these gifts. Use them wisely and well. I wish you good fortune.
Most British comedy is good. Don't forget stuff like Monty Python, Red Dwarf, The Young One's or Are You Being Served? Red Dwarf was probably my favorite. Good movies too, like "Shawn of the Dead" and many others!
ReplyDeleteFreya, I like your list. :)
ReplyDeleteOne thing I learned a few years ago is to never have any sort of contest--like, oh, let's see, trying to stand on and balance on top of a yoga ball. Even the most nimble and well-balanced individual will most likely end up with a broken bone or two (even if it's just that tiny one in your toe).
Some things to do? It's okay to be tired, but be tired for all the right reasons. And don't be afraid to try something out of your comfort zone. :)
FREYA!! I FINALLY FOUND YOUR BLOG AGAIN! AND I'M SO GLAD I DID!!
ReplyDelete