Sunday, November 7, 2010

Something I found today

I was looking through some old Word documents on my computer, and I found this short story I wrote in January of 2009. I read it, liked the premise, and am going to clean it up and polish it so I can work on developing the story. I may even... but I'm getting ahead of myself. Here's the rough draft - definitely not my best, but hey! I was, like, ten!
“Synta! Get back to work at once! I’ve had enough of your dilly-dallying!” The shrill voice of the Field Supervisor slashed across the thirteen-year-old girl’s ears like a whip. She sighed. “Yes, ma’am.”

Synta swung her scythe for what felt like the millionth time, producing the satisfying thunk of the blade slashing through wheat. I’m sick of cutting wheat, she thought miserably. Here I am, thirteen years old and still wearing the green Anterior level work dress. All the other girls in this field are younger than twelve, and I’m still stuck here!

She slid the recently cut stalk of wheat into her bundle. All the other girls my age are at the Secondary level, wearing red and roving around the field, waiting for some Anterior to finish a bundle and load it onto their cart.

Synta sighed again and moved to the next stalk of wheat. She knew why the Head of the Maidens' Labor Company had kept her back. It had been because of that fight – the fight between her and Rezun, that horrible girl who had insulted Synta’s dark hair and eyes. “Everyone knows that to get into the Company you have to be fair and pretty,” she had said contemptuously, staring meaningfully at Synta’s long black plait and coffee-brown eyes. “How did you get in, seeing as you’re neither?”

Synta shuddered. She didn’t want to think about that fight that she knew Rezun had started, but she herself had been punished for. She guessed that Rezun had been advanced to the next level - and Synta had not - because Rezun was the daughter of a lord who might possibly be donating hugely to the AC in the near future. Even though everyone Synta knew told her she was beautiful and unique because of her dark visage, she was scarred by Rezun’s scathing words.

Sometimes Synta would wish she had never kicked Rezun’s shin in the first place. She would think, Why did I even have to be born with this short temper? If I hadn’t been, I would have been wearing red and pulling a little cart around the field.

Other times she would think, This company would be a better place if they let all the Anteriors and Secondaries have a good long brawl.

Synta hacked away at the wheat with more savage energy than any of her fellow Anteriors had ever seen.


I'm going to edit this and basically shine it up a little, make it more well-written, and then work on the premise and develop it into something I can work on. Tell me what you think - what would you suggest I change, omit, or add to make this piece as good as possible? I'm open to all suggestions!


2 comments:

  1. Hmm... I don't think a scythe going through wheat would "thunk", other than that, sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this, and I'm intrigued by the literary possibilities of a society that appears to be so controlled and ordered. There's a lot of opportunity for the protagonist to rebel in interesting ways and for there to be sinister secrets hidden below the surface of apparent order. . I'm a little worried that it is the kind of story that could spiral away into more and more baroque detail. It seems like the kind of thing that would really benefit from the stuff we were talking about last night, you would probably have a good chance of seeing it through if you had a nice solid outline to hang it on.

    ReplyDelete